Whilst coming up with activities for my bucketlist a couple of years ago, my Mum suggested that I challenge myself to a reading challenge to keep me entertained for many years to come. We threw around some ideas about how many books to include in this challenge as we wanted it to be reasonable but still challenging and something that will take me at least 10 years to complete. In the end, we came up with the 1,000 book challenge which I officially started on the 1st of January 2013.
My books so far:
1. The Hobbit – J.R.R Tolkien
2. The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
3. Theodore Boone – John Grisham
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey
5. The Best of Me – Nicholas Sparks
6. Sister – Rosamund Lupton
7. The Storyteller – Jodi Picoult
8. The Scorch Trials – James Dashner
9. The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
10. Noughts and Crosses – Malorie Blackman
11. Looking for Alaska – John Green
12. A Short History of Nearly Everything – Bill Bryson
13. The Weight of Silence – Heather Gudenkauf
14. Lord of the Flies – William Goulding
15. Billy and Me – Giovanna Fletcher
16. The World According to Clarkson – Jeremy Clarkson
17. Pushing the Limits – Casey Stoner
18. Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
19. The Moment – Douglas Kennedy
I challenge each and everyone of you to make yourself a reading challenge and to keep a note of all the books you read as part of it. Make it as small or as long as you like, there are only 2 conditions: 1. It has to be a challenge. If you read lots. make it a huge number of books, if you don’t read, make it a smaller amount of books that still stretches you to complete it. And 2. No backdating. The challenge starts from today, you can’t include books you’ve read from years before. It’s a great excuse to dig out all the books you’ve read before and loved but never picked up since. You may still love them, you may hate them now but either way, it’s a trip down memory lane and you’ll take something new away from re-reading.
Start the challenge now, go and pick out a book. I shall keep you updated on my challenge at random points in the future!